Banding Report: Sunday, February 19th -- "a fun day" but no new captures

Banding Report: Sunday, February 19th -- "a fun day" but no new captures

Here is Nancy Cox's report on Sunday, February 19:

Hi all,

Although we did not get to band any new Rosy-Finches today, it was a fun day.   We did recapture 2 more Blacks that were first banded as second year birds in January 2011.  It was the first time we have seen them this season.  We recaptured another Black from the same date but we saw it back in November 2011.

We also recaptured a Red-breasted Nuthatch that was an adult bird when first banded in December 2007.

Dr. Dave Ligon, former ornithology professor at UNM, and his wife Sandy were up today and we got to spend some time talking about birds.

It started snowing just before we closed the traps and we got to see more Rosy-Finches at one time than we had all day.  We did see all 3 species but that included only one Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch.

The road was clear when we left.

Nancy