Banding JAN 31: 39 captures, flocks of 40-50, several Hepburns present

Banding JAN 31: 39 captures, flocks of 40-50, several Hepburns present

Amber West of the Banding team sends this interesting report (JAN 31):

Hi all,

...I will be sending the reports for the next few weeks.

We newly banded only four Rosy-Finches: one Black and 3 interior Gray-crowned.  We did recapture 35 Rosy-Finches from this winter season.  There were 15 Blacks, 4 Brown-capped, and 16 Gray-crowned (15 interiors and 1 Hepburn's).  We also recaptured one Black from the 2014/2015 winter season.  We did see several more Hepburn's in the flock.  Flock size varied but seemed to be around 40 - 50 birds at maximum.

Overall, it was overcast and windy, which kept the Rosy-Finches coming in regularly.

Kenn Kaufman and his wife came up to the Crest today to see the Rosy-Finch banding.  There was also a group that came out to see the Rosy-Finches, with some people coming from the Roswell area.

The road was clear, but the parking lot is still icy in areas so be careful walking up to the Crest House.

-Amber West