BANDING DEC 3 2017: All 3 species present (including Hepburn's)

BANDING DEC 3 2017: All 3 species present (including Hepburn's)

Nancy Cox of the banding team writes (DEC 7):

Hi Ken,

The team newly banded 39 Rosy-Finches.  There were 31 Blacks, 6 Brown-capped, and 2 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches (one interior and one Hepburn's).  Two more Brown-capped were recaptured that were originally banded last winter.

There is fresh snow up on the Sandias today.  It will be interesting to see how many more are seen in the future.  We won't be banding any more until January.  Rio Grande Bird Research will be holding its annual meeting this weekend and then we have the Christmas Bird Count season after that.

Nancy

Re: BANDING DEC 3 2017: All 3 species present (including Hepburn's)

JustHereForTheBird
Hi guys. I’m thinking of coming there the week of the 17th. Is Sandia Crest open during the week for viewing?

Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone
Robert

On Dec 8, 2017, at 4:44 AM, Rosyfinch [via Sandia Crest Birding FORUM] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nancy Cox of the banding team writes (DEC 7):

Hi Ken,

The team newly banded 39 Rosy-Finches.  There were 31 Blacks, 6 Brown-capped, and 2 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches (one interior and one Hepburn's).  Two more Brown-capped were recaptured that were originally banded last winter.

There is fresh snow up on the Sandias today.  It will be interesting to see how many more are seen in the future.  We won't be banding any more until January.  Rio Grande Bird Research will be holding its annual meeting this weekend and then we have the Christmas Bird Count season after that.

Nancy

To start a new topic under Rosy-Finch Observations and Banding Reports CURRENT (2016-Present), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Sandia Crest Birding FORUM, click here.
NAML

Re: BANDING DEC 3 2017: All 3 species present (including Hepburn's)

Hi, Robert--

The Crest House is undergoing a change in ownership. It has been open on
weekends after 10 AM depending upon availability of staff and road
access, but I have not heard of any plans to open on weekdays. (*SEE UPDATE BELOW)

As Nancy Cox mentioned, there will not be any more weekend banding until January.

The Crest House Facebook Page is still active. You might address your
question about current and planned operating hours at that site. I also
posted a query about operating hours:

https://www.facebook.com/SandiaCrestHouse/?ref=br_rs

In any event, the lower feeder may be viewed from the lower parking lot
on the east side of Sandia Crest House. Bring hull-less sunflower seed
(or Patio Mix) in case it has not been filled, as there are no direct
responsibilities for maintaining the feeders in the absence of a feeding
program coordinator. The local Audubon Society (CNMAS) is addressing
this issue and may be working on a solution. Simply drive up and park at
the first lot on the left. If the restaurant/gift store is open (after
10 AM) you may view the deck feeders from inside.

You probably know that the tram does not run to Sandia Crest, but to the
ski area at Sandia Peak, separated from Sandia Crest by a rather dangerous hike of over a mile in
(expected) deep snow. Sandia Peak does NOT have any rosy-finch feeders.

I am copying others who may be able to better answer your question. I
request they also provide me with a copy of their response so I may post
on the Sandia Crest Birding FORUM

Good luck, and let me know about your experience!

Ken

*UPDATE FROM NANCY & STEVE COX: (DEC 8):

Crest House hours will be 11 - 4 and probably only on Saturdays and Sundays.

All 3 species were seen this morning.   Road close to the top is icy in spots.  Snow is melting rapidly.

Nancy and Steve

Re: BANDING DEC 3 2017: All 3 species present (including Hepburn's)

NewMexiKen

Update from Namcy Cox:

--

Ken Schneider

Ken and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida and North Aurora, Illinois

Web Site: <rosyfinch.com>
Blog:  <http://rosy-finch.blogspot.com/>
Photos: <flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch>
Eagle Nest FORUM: <rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html#FORUM>
Sandia Crest FORUM: <rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)
"I am at peace with everything when I can feel, hear, smell and see the amazing wonders that nature can provide." (Ryan Beaulieu, 1987-2005)

Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

Re: BANDING DEC 3 2017: All 3 species present (including Hepburn's)

UPDATE FROM NANCY & STEVE COX (DEC 8):

Crest House hours will be 11 - 4 and probably only on Saturdays and Sundays.

All 3 species were seen this morning.   Road close to the top is icy in spots.  Snow is melting rapidly.

Nancy and Steve
KS ML Signature block
--

Ken & Mary Lou

Ken and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida and North Aurora, Illinois

Web Site: <rosyfinch.com>
Blog:  <http://rosy-finch.blogspot.com/>
Photos: <flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch>
Eagle Nest FORUM: <rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html#FORUM>
Sandia Crest FORUM: <rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)
"I am at peace with everything when I can feel, hear, smell and see the amazing wonders that nature can provide." (Ryan Beaulieu, 1987-2005)
On 12/8/2017 6:46 PM, Ken & Mary Lou wrote:

Hi, Robert--

The Crest House is undergoing a change in ownership. It has been open on weekends after 10 AM depending upon availability of staff and road access, but I have not heard of any plans to open on weekdays. As Nancy Cox mentioned, there will not be any more weekend banding until January.

The Crest House Facebook Page is still active. You might address your question about current and planned operating hours at that site. I also posted a query about operating hours:

https://www.facebook.com/SandiaCrestHouse/?ref=br_rs

In any event, the lower feeder may be viewed from the lower parking lot on the east side of Sandia Crest House. Bring hull-less sunflower seed (or Patio Mix) in case it has not been filled, as there are no direct responsibilities for maintaining the feeders in the absence of a feeding program coordinator. The local Audubon Society (CNMAS) is addressing this issue and may be working on a solution. Simply drive up and park at the first lot on the left. If the restaurant/gift store is open (after 10 AM) you may view the deck feeders from inside.

You probably know that the tram does not run to Sandia Crest, but to the ski area at Sandia Peak, a rather dangerous hike of over a mile in (expected) deep snow. Sandia Peak does NOT have any rosy-finch feeders.

I am copying others who may be able to better answer your question. I request they also provide me with a copy of their response so I may post on the Sandia Crest Birding FORUM

KS ML Signature block Good luck, and let me know about your experience!

Ken