AUDUBON THURSDAY BIRDERS SCHEDULE For Summer 2016

AUDUBON THURSDAY BIRDERS SCHEDULE For Summer 2016

AUDUBON THURSDAY BIRDERS SCHEDULE  For Summer 2016

TO CHECK FOR POSSIBLE TRIP CANCELLATIONS go to the Audubon web site:
http://cnmas.newmexicoaudubon.org

Click on TRIPS, then go to THURSDAY BIRDERS.

JUNE 2

Visit the Feltz family's Jemez Mountain cabin near La Cueva with Lou Feltz: 505-856-1322, lvfeltz@comcast.net. The elevation is 8,600' in case anyone has respiratory problems. One may view birds from the back deck if walking a mile is difficult. Meet at 6:50 a.m. for a 7:00 departure from the Far North Shopping Center located on the east side of San Mateo and the north side of Academy Boulevard. Meet in the center of the large parking lot. Bring lunch. The trip will end in the early afternoon. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $7 at five cents per mile.

JUNE 9

Visit the Sandia Mountain Natural History Center in Cedar Crest, NM, with Melissa Howard: 505-453-6444, nmflicker@swcp.com. Meet at 7:50 a.m. for an 8:00 departure from the far west side of the Four Hills Shopping Village on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard or 8:30 at the SMNHC located in Cedar Crest, 2.6 miles north on NM 14 from the I-40 exit, on Columbine Road. The center consists of 128 acres. It is a joint venture between the NM Museum of Natural History and Science and the Albuquerque Public Schools. The walk will be 0.5 miles uphill and return downhill and will end before noon. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $1 at five cents per mile.

JUNE 16

Travel to Villaneuva State Park on the Pecos River with Judy Liddell: Cell: 505-220-7998, jliddell@msn.com. Meet at 6:50 a.m. for a 7:00 departure from the far west end of the Four Hills Shopping Village located on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard. A rest stop will be made at Clines Corners at 8:00 in case anyone wants to join the group there. Please let Judy know ahead of time if you are one of these people so that she will know to look for you. The park is 65 miles east on I-40, then 20 miles north on NM 3. There is a $5 entrance fee per vehicle if you don't have a state parks pass. Bring lunch. The trip should end in mid afternoon. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $8 at five cents per mile.

JUNE 23

Visit Ojito de San Antonio Open Space in Cedar Crest with Leah Henzler: 505-280-2085, lfcairns@gmail.com. Meet at 7:50 a.m. for an 8:00 departure from the far west side of the Four Hills Shopping Village located on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard. The Open Space is located behind the San Antonio de Padua Church. Take the Tijeras/Cedar Crest Exit from I-40, drive toward Cedar Crest on NM 14 and go one mile. Make a left just before the church onto San Antonio Drive. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $1 at five cents per mile. The walk will end before noon.

JUNE 30

Visit Valle de Oro National Wildlife Refuge with Becky Purvis: Cell: 505-688-1998, rpurvis3@yahoo.com. Meet at 8:00 a.m. at the refuge entrance on 2nd Street by the refuge sign. To reach the refuge, drive south on I-25 and take the Rio Bravo Exit. Drive west on Rio Bravo to 2nd Street. Turn south on 2nd and drive 3.2 miles to the entrance. The group will drive to different areas of the refuge and take a couple of half-mile walks. The trip will end before noon.

JULY 7

Walk in the Oak Flat picnic area in the Manzano Mountains with Maurice Mackey: Home: 505-897-0415, Cell: 505-220-9003, moemackey@comcast.net. Meet at 7:50 a.m. for an 8:00 departure from the far west side of the Four Hills Shopping Village on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard. To reach the Open Space, exit I-40 at Tijeras and take NM 337 south. Drive south 8.5 miles. Turn left on Oak Flat Road and drive 0.9 miles. Turn left at the Group Use Picnic Area sign, making another left that will lead to the parking lot at the end of the road. The walk will end before noon. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $1.25 at five cents per mile. The walk will end before noon.

JULY 14

Visit Balsam Glade and Capulin Springs in the Sandia Mountains with Rebecca Gracey: 505-242-3821, maryrebeccagracey@gmail.com. Meet at 7:50 a.m. for an 8:00 departure from the far west side of the Four Hills Shopping Village on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard. Balsam Glade is located on NM 536 past the Sandia Peak Ski Area on the right. There is a $3 parking fee or Federal parking pass required per vehicle. The shared gas expense is $2 at five cents per mile. The trip will end before noon.

JULY 21

Visit the Simms Ranch and Bonnie Long's house in the Manzano Mountains for hummingbirds, bluebirds, and a potluck meal with Bonnie Long: Cell: 505-379-1985, cantrade_1@yahoo.com. Meet at 8:50 a.m. for a 9:00 departure from the far west side of the Four Hills Shopping Village on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard or 9:50 at the entrance to the Simms Ranch on NM 337, six miles south of Chilili where Bonnie will meet people near her parked vehicle.
Since this event has grown in size to over 35 people, at least six people are asked to bring a main dish such as lasagna, enchiladas, macaroni and cheese, meat or vegetable casserole, baked beans or sliced meat.  Please contact Bonnie if you can provide one of these main dishes. Other attendees should bring beverages and side dishes that would serve 8-10 people. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $3.50 at five cents per mile.

JULY 28

Explore spots along Hyde Park Road (NM 475) in the Santa Fe National Forest with Barbara Hussey: 505-385-1165, brhussey@flash.net. Meet at 7:20 a.m. for a 7:30 departure from the center of the parking lot at the Far North Shopping Center located north of Academy and east of San Mateo. If you prefer to meet the group in Santa Fe, the first stop will be at Little Tesuque Picnic Area on the left just past mile marker 8 on Hyde Park Road (NM 475). Hyde Park Road is designated as the Santa Fe National Forest Scenic Byway and passes through four different life zones. Bring lunch and drinking water. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $6 at five cents per mile. The group will return to Albuquerque in the mid-afternoon.

AUGUST 4

Walk around the Tingley bosque ponds with Lefty Arnold: 505-514-9398, wanderingtattlerja@yahoo.com. Meet at 7:57 a.m. at the north end of the Tingley Beach parking lot. To reach the area, drive west on Central Avenue past Rio Grande Boulevard, then turn left on Tingley Drive. Take the first right off of Tingley Drive and at the stop sign, turn right to the dirt overflow parking lot. This leaves the few parking spots by the concession stand for people who want to fish. The walk will be about one mile in length and will end before noon.

AUGUST 11

Walk in the Corrales bosque and view the Mississippi Kites in Corrales with Joe Schelling: 505-797-9018, joeschelling@msn.com. Meet at 7:50 a.m. for an 8:00 departure from the shopping area north of Alameda Road/NM 528 and east of NM 448/Corrales Road, near the Little Anita's Restaurant. The group will carpool from there. All are invited to have lunch afterwards at Village Pizza in Corrales.

AUGUST 18

Walk in Sulphur Canyon and Cienega Canyon in the Sandia Mountains with Lannois Neely: 505-890-7881, lfneely@aol.com. Meet at 7:20 a.m. for a 7:30 departure from the far west side of the Four Hills Shopping Village located on Central Avenue between Juan Tabo and Tramway Boulevard. Sulphur Canyon is the first turn from NM 536 when driving up the mountain. A $3 parking fee or Federal pass is required per vehicle. For those not driving the shared gas expense is $1.50 at five cents per mile. The walk will end before noon.

AUGUST 25

Visit The Narrows southeast of Grants, NM, with Gale Owings: 505-255-8333.
TO ARRANGE CAR POOLING, meet at 7:20 a.m. for a 7:30 departure from the northwest corner of the parking lot of the Hotel Albuquerque, located at 800 Rio Grande NW. From I-40, take the Rio Grande exit, and drive south to the first stop light at Bellamah NW. Turn east toward the hotel and enter the parking lot on the right. TO REACH THE DESTINATION OF THE TRIP, drive west on I-40 toward Grants and take exit 89 toward NM 117. There is a gas station/convenience store there where participants will gather. From there the group will drive about 21 miles south on 117 to The Narrows picnic area for the second stop, and then about 3.8 miles back to the La Ventana Natural Arch for the third stop. Bring lunch. The distance is 90 miles, 180 miles round trip. For those not driving, the shared gas expense is $9 at five cents per mile. The trip should end in the late afternoon.

OTHER BIRDING OPPORTUNITIES;

Central New Mexico Audubon Society has occasional weekend field trips. For information about these trips go to
http://cnmas.newmexicoaudubon.org.

June 18, 2016

Otero Canyon
Walk Otero Canyon with Karen Herzenberg and Laurel Ladwig (RSVP to Karen: CNMASPresident@gmail.com).
Meet at 7:20 a.m. for a 7:30 departure from the Sandia Ranger Station in Tijeras on NM 337. The group will car pool from there to Otero 3.5 miles south on NM 337.
Target species include Black-throated Gray Warbler, Virginia’s Warbler, Gray Flycatcher and Plumbeous Vireo. There will be a 1.5 mile walk on uneven trails ending before noon. Bring water. The only bathroom accommodations are at the Ranger Station.

July 16

Road to Sandia Crest
Meet Robert Munro and others at 7:30 in front of the Einstein Bros Bagels in the Four Hills Shopping Center. We will then carpool to our first stop at Sulphur Canyon Picnic Area.
We will bird a number of spots up to the Crest including Doc Long, the Log at Cupulin Spring, and the 10K area. Once at the Crest we will hike toward Kiwanis Meadow and if time allows we will also walk the path adjacent to the communication towers. The expedition will end around the lunch hour. We will convene at the Sandia Crest House for lunch and compilation of our bird list. Please feel free to contact Robert Munro at robert@oniells.com with any questions.

July 30

Valles Caldera National Preserve
Join Judy Liddell to explore the Valles Caldera National Preserve, including the back country. We will explore birds in a variety of habitats within the caldera.
The trip will be limited to 14 people. Since there is limited parking at locations where we will be stopping to bird, participants must be willing to ride in the vehicle of one of the four designated drivers who will have backcountry permits.
To reserve a spot and get a full itinerary, contact Judy [jliddell@msn.com (505) 220-7998].

From May through the Balloon Fiesta in October there are Tuesday morning bird walks in the Sandia Mountains sponsored by the U.S. Forest Service. Meet at the Sandia Ranger Station at 8:00 a.m. by taking Exit 175 from I-40 and driving south one half mile on NM 337 to the ranger station on the left.

There are Saturday and Sunday morning bird walks starting at 8:30 a.m. at the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park located at the far west end of Candelaria NW.  A parking fee of $3, State Parks pass, or Friends of the RGNC pass is required.

SOUTHWEST WINGS BIRDING & NATURE FESTIVAL: August 3-6, in Sierra Vista, AZ. For more information go to www.swwings.org.

THURSDAY BIRDER TRIP REPORTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS

Judy Liddell's Blog:
www.wingandsong.wordpress.com

Joe Schelling's Blog: https://joeschelling.wordpress.com
and photo website:www.sandianet.com

NM Rare Bird Alert: www.nmbirds.org

Rare Bird Alerts for all states: www.birdingonthe.net

To report NM Rare Birds, contact Matt Baumann at 264-1052 or mb687@yahoo.com

Wildlife Rescue for injured birds: Wildlife Rescue at the Rio Grande Nature Center, 344-2500.

To find where reported bird species have been sighted, go to
www.ebird.com
Click on ˜Explore Data," then choose one of the available options such as ˜Explore Hotspots", "Species Maps", or ˜Bar Charts."