APR 2, 2018: Final reported rosy-finch sighting; Annual banding reports

APR 2, 2018: Final reported rosy-finch sighting; Annual banding reports

Nancy Cox of Rio Grande Bird Research provided a recap of the 2017-18 winter banding season at Sandia Crest House. Included is a link which provides the numbers and species mix over the years:

We had two returning Black Rosy-Finches (one male, one female) that were originally banded in the winter season 2010/2011.  We had another 4 Blacks (three males and one female) return from January 2015.  Those were our oldest returning birds but we also had two birds (Brown-capped and Gray-crowned interior both females) who were already adults when we first banded them in November 2015...

LINK TO UPDATED ANNUAL BANDING RECORDS 2004-2018

http://www.rosyfinch.com/AnnualSummary.pdf

...We banded 159 total Rosy-Finches this season for a grand total of 3090 birds for the project.  Blacks accounted for 67% this season and 50% for all seasons.

I went up on April 2 and saw only 10 Rosy-Finches.  I have not seen any eBird checklists showing Rosy-Finches for the Crest since then.  We did get a dusting of snow early today [APR 13] and it is very windy.